The its operation twice in half century before

The building was already moved
the location of its operation twice in half century before Richard Rogers got
to know Lloyd’s in 1977. In 1920s, the person in charge of Lloyds at that time
made the first move possible by acquiring a new site in Leadenhall Street and
Sir Edwin Cooper. The architect who was assigned to design the new building was
well-known for prestigious city institutions. However, the site was quite
awkward, because most of the front-side on Leadenhall Street was taken by
another building designed by Cooper (Royal Mail House). The building was
completed in 1928 but it the size of the building was inadequate. In 1952, the
architect Terence Heysham started the work on the ‘new Lloyd’s’. He produced a
suave building but the building lacked classicism. One of the main issues of
this design is the capacity of the Room was too small and they needed more
underwriting space. The plans of Lloyds came to the notice of Gordon Graham who
was elected as the President of the Royal Institute of British Architects
(RIBA). Graham was aware that Lloyd’s could be the British commission of the
decade. Graham advised Sir Ian Findlay (the Chairman) of Lloyd’s to look for a
strategy not a scheme. ‘I told Lloyd’s to find an architect and work with him
on a development strategy before even thinking about the design’ Graham said. A
competition was created in search of an architect to design the new building.
Richard Rogers won the competition and his victory was the outcome of his
firm’s response to Graham formula (strategy first, scheme second). Rogers
believed that the new building should take the shape of a ‘doughnut’ with rings
of underwriting space serviced from outside of the building. By early 1980,
Rogers present the scheme to the city. The city approved the plan the following
year. The building emerged clearly as a forceful, dramatic new city monument
and the most unique feature was the external design of the building. (Kenneth
Powell, 1999, p.174-178).